Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 04:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tombstone Video  (Read 12387 times)

NWVintageAgParts

• My 49 KW
    • View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
Tombstone Video
« on: October 24, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
Hey Rob, just curious how the video is coming along of the Tombstone Run.  I know you said you had well over an hour of videos.   Cant wait to see it.

Thanks

jake
1963 923 Kenworth, 1956 Minneapolis Moline GBD, 1957 John Deere 420U, 1952 Minneapolis Moline UTS

rcowan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tombstone Video
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
Thanks for asking Jake. You aren't the only one wondering.  ;D

I had to buy some more software and wait for it to get here to use the footage from a couple cameras. (The software I had used was getting pretty old and it didn't recognize files from the newer cameras.) I finally got that and got it installed.

Now I just need to find time to finish it up. Work has me traveling a bit the next couple weeks but hopefully I can carve out some time soon. I want to see it done too!

kblackav8or

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
I appreciate the essence your videos have - not covering up the sounds of the trucks with music and keeping the clips intact.  They make our trucks the star.

Scott Smith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:25:24 PM »
Rob,  I am looking forward to the Tombstone '10 video as well.  But, while I have no experience working with video directly, I have worked with other such editing projects and know how they can suck up great deals of time, especially when you are trying to get those elusive last details right.  I appreciate all the time you put into these videos for the benefit of the group, THANKS!

As Kevin said, you do a fine job of capturing the run:  the scenery, the trucks, the smoke and the SOUND.  You have a good eye and ear for "producing" the video, but not over-producing with too much fancy-footwork editing and music overlays that, in my opinion, are only distractions from what this is about.

logdogone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »
the only music needed is non turbo straight stacks  not that i'm prejudiced or anything ;D

rcowan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »
Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully this year's doesn't let you down...... when it is finally finished.  :-[

NWVintageAgParts

• My 49 KW
    • View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:13:14 PM »
Im with these guys 220% (get it, cummins 220. LOL) I would rather have it take a bit longer to get the quality product that you have in the other two.  I cant say enough thanks to you, your dad, and the other guys for making this happen.  It was one of the best times ive had in a long time. 

Being in the middle of the pack on the way up the hill, one of the coolest sights was the smoke hanging in the trees from the previous trucks. Then on the way back, Bryan and I pulled off at the scale before Sweet Home to listen and watch some of the other trucks go by.

Maybe I can have my 49 KW up and running for next year.  It might be a little ugly though.
1963 923 Kenworth, 1956 Minneapolis Moline GBD, 1957 John Deere 420U, 1952 Minneapolis Moline UTS

Scott Smith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:32:23 PM »
Logdog:  you are my kind of people!  How goes the logging?  I was looking through my toy collection and I have the David Hull Peterbilt model, I am thinking Steve needs it more than I do.

Jake:  I know what you mean about the smoke....the Eugeneean in me felt an eensy-weensy bit bad about it, but I got past that!  It was cool to see the gray haze.

We need to do this more than once a year (not saying it needs to be sponsored by the Cowan-Emerts (they are already doing their part, thanks).  Just another get-together, low key, pick a great road (Highway 242 (old Mckenzie Hwy) could be fun.  Ideas?

rcowan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
The smoke in the trees is extremely cool. I love seeing all the trucks go by. My dad keeps saying that I need to get my license and drive his '60 KW. I'm not sure I want to just see three trucks all day (in front, behind, the one I'm in).  ;D

I think a drive through Quartzville would be cool. Go up at the East end of Foster Lake, past Green Peter, through Yellowbottom, and out the other end on Hwy 22. There are some pulls that would really make the stack talk. It's a narrow, paved road (single lane with turn outs after a while) with quite a bit of traffic at the lower end (around foster/green peter). It wouldn't be good for a large group but you could sneak a small group up before/after the lakes get real busy. It's a beautiful drive.

NWVintageAgParts

• My 49 KW
    • View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Im certainly up for doing another run in the spring or something.  Maybe by then i can have my air ride rear suspension and axle in the 62. I found one out of a newer IH truck with 3.90 or 4.11 gears complete with all the drums, shocks, and all the plumbing.  All i need to do is check over and service an IH Westcoaster so its able to start and run for a farmer i know.  Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

logdogone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »
making a run up to camp 18 on a sunday? morning for lunch would be cool   the old iron would add to the class of the place

logdogone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:44:13 PM »
Im certainly up for doing another run in the spring or something.  Maybe by then i can have my air ride rear suspension and axle in the 62. I found one out of a newer IH truck with 3.90 or 4.11 gears complete with all the drums, shocks, and all the plumbing.  All i need to do is check over and service an IH Westcoaster so its able to start and run for a farmer i know.  Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

that westcoaster wouldn't be don wirths by chance

NWVintageAgParts

• My 49 KW
    • View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »
Yes, thats the one. I havent seen the truck yet.  How do you know it?

logdogone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 05:25:10 AM »
yeah from about 20 years ago when i worked for dave malpass  used to haul seed out of wirths     what i remember  it's blue with a 220  5&4    24' flatbed

Scott Smith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
logdog -- you are GOOD!