Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 04:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My White TD9500 project  (Read 14384 times)

junkdealer2

• View Profile
    • Email
My White TD9500 project
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »
Thought I might post a pic of my personal project prior to taking it apart. You can still see some of the trees and bushes that covered about 50% of it. The patina wont be disturbed but since it will never be used as a working truck, I'm building it to my own style. Little "Freddie" on the door is gonna be one "Fast Freddie White" when its done, long, low, and fast.

359er

Re: My White TD9500 project
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »
Let the work begin. Remember the rule, LOTS of pics.

junkdealer2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:17:11 PM »
OK, Here you go! This is the frame less the engine mounts, rear body supports, and other misc. brackets. Yes, the top of the rails will be 9 inches off the ground when the air bags are dumped! (My frame table is a little short for this build.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:20:45 PM by junkdealer2 »

Scott W

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »
Kool, love the pics and keep them coming. Scott

359er

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Junkdealer,  Explain a little more. Is the rear axle on the raised portion end? Also, how is the front axle going to be configured? I too am a fabricator so your project has me very interested as to what you are doing here.

359er

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:26:40 PM »
OK, I studied a little more. Looks like the front will be on air bags ahead if the frame with a 4 link setup. Interesting. Keep the pics coming.

junkdealer2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:05:20 AM »
Yea 359er, the front will swing on a 4-link, panhard bar setup ahead of the main rails. There will be a 2X6 riser kicking forward off the 3X8 main rails that supports an upper bag plate with a sway bar across the top. I picked this "street rod style" design purely for the low height of frame rail that can be achieved. When the axle comes back from the machine shop I'll mount up the spindles and hubs to set the height of the upper bag support for the 8R19.5's and take more pics. Since the bags I've picked have a internal bumper at 4 1/2 inches I made a set of 5" supports which will aid in setting the bag plates front and rear. The rear will hang on a trianglulated 4 link behind the Z'ed section(20 inches of rise) and have bag plates mounted to the rear side of the rear axle and to the underside of the frame rails. The rear will roll on 11R24.5's. I should be able to put the engine/trans into the void tomorrow and then the fun will start. After some measuring today the engine may sit higher than I expected and the top of the block will be about even with the top of the cowl, its a good thing I'm tall and look through the upper portion of the windshield. I should be able to adjust this a little bit with the thickness of the body bushings. I'm looking for a source that can cast or machine urethane parts based on my CAD drawings for the body supports as the originals are made of unobtainium.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:10:13 AM by junkdealer2 »

junkdealer2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »
Hey Scott W, These are for you, should'a seen this thing swingin' from a 4k forklift. Then, while taking the weight off the forklift the first time, just after knocking the chains loose, a block into split several pieces allowing the digit masher to roll/slide several inches forward and down between the rails but it didn't fall over. There were several people helping me set the combo and I was suddenly alone steadying the engine at the AC compressor,even the lift driver bailed. What in the world were they afraid of?? Duh...

Notice the distance the pan rail is above the top of the frame rail, its not an illusion!
I laid a piece of 1/8X2" strip across the top of the rails and the ballancer cleared the strip  by about another 1/8".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:19:31 PM by junkdealer2 »

Scott Smith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »
I really dig this project -- class 8 rat rod!I am not much of a fabricator, but this is inspirational!

Scott W

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
Kool! That is going to be trick. Engine on blocks tipping over, thats not normal? I like anything that makes the fashion police go "why did you do it THAT way"? Thats when I go by their truck and say "man I wish I'd known your into those things, I just sent three nice ones to the shredder"! Look of evil death glare is priceless.
I used to do alot of street rod/drag chassis work before I had a kid involved in everything, now its a time issue-imagine that. Guys I did work for were always so orientated to what everyone else was going to think? Maybe I was born a @-hole but I dont care what others think unless I have respect for them and their opinion. I would repeataly tell them make this the way you want it because your the only one you have to please. They would loosen up and we'd have alot of fun. I always like the one when I would build a truck for a guy and it came down to picking colors. He would look at the charts and say my wife doesn't like reds or whatever, or he would pick a color and the wife would say no. I would "gently say" heh, aren't you the one staring over the hood all day? That always made for a nice glare, fun stuff.

junkdealer2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Hi All, Been away takin' care of Mom after a heart attack and 3 strokes. She ran me off a couple of weeks ago so she's feelin' lots better.
I got back on the truck and needed to post up some more pics. Front and rear are swingin' with their bag mounts in place and the front engine mount is in. The rear engine supports are makin' me scratch my head, thats a lot of air between the factory trans brackets and the top of the frame rails. Make me say HUUMMMM!

John Hanson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Interesting project! (not quite my style, but I sure can appreciate it!)  That's some very nice looking fab work, and setup!!  I'm going to be very interested in what's next! ;D
JH

junkdealer2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 06:38:05 PM »
Back Again!
Lets See, where to start... The rear engine support...is two u-shaped plates tied together with a flat top plate to resemble the original mount bolted inside the frame rails (see the pic looking under the body). Oh Yea, The body is mounted ;D
I was shooting for the top of the valve covers to be even with the bottom of the windshield and I only missed it by less than two inches. The body is just a little high but the cowl is still lower than the top of the radiator. The charge cooler and its plumbing will top out about five inches above the bottom of the glass. The "Z" section of the frame behind the cab with the fuel tank and its brackets will put the top of the tank about even with the driprail.
Check the pics!

edit: The space under the cab on the drivers side will be filled with the battery box from the Pete that donated the engine and I'll make a "skirt" down to the top of the 7" pipe on the passenger side. I might make a step for the pass. side using part of the Pete tool box. I also found a fresh 14608LL for gear selection. Next questions are clutch linkage, steering, brake valve...! 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:47:38 PM by junkdealer2 »

junkdealer2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »
Been workin' hard at puttin' her together and now that the bodys on for good its pic time,

Scott W

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »
Awesome fabrication! Road test soon?